Road Trips for Savannah Seniors – Visit Fort McAllister
Whether you are a Coastal Georgia senior looking for a romantic picnic spot or to get a full dose of our history, Fort McAllister is a wonderful place for a Savannah Senior getaway.
Let’s start with a look at Fort McAllister’s amenities:
- Fort McAllister is large: 1,725 Acres. This is one of the largest historical sites from the Confederacy.
- If you’re looking for an overnight stay, Fort McAllister features three cozy cabins- one is even dog friendly!
- Looking to bring your tent or RV? Fort McAllister has 65 sites for tents and RVs- priced from $25 a night.
- If you want to really rough it, call and ask about the Fort McAllister Back Country Campsites.
- If you are looking to host a family reunion, class reunion, or get together, there are two Fort McAllister picnic shelters for rent.
- Any visit to Fort McAllister should include a visit to the Earthwork Fort, the largest remaining from the Confederacy.
- Pick up a souvenir or memento from the Civil War Museum and Gift Shop.
- There are two Fort McAllister boat ramps and a fishing pier.
You’d probably like a little Fort McAllister history before planning your Coastal Georgia senior getaway.
Here is a brief overview of Fort McAllister’s history:
Fort McAllister protected Richmond Hills and Savannah from a Coastal Attack by the Union Navy.
For far longer than many predicted, Fort McAllister was able to hold out against the revolutionary Union iron clad war ships.
Finally, General Sherman committed his entire force to silencing Fort McAllister as a symbol of Confederate power once and for all. This was the final battle in Sherman’s march to the sea, and remains a key historic site for Civil War buffs, educators, and historians.
Get a taste of Civil War life by visiting Tuesday through Saturday after 1pm when Fort McAllister Historians are on hand to talk with you about Civil War History, Fort McAlister’s battles, Civil War camp life, Civil War medicine, and more.
Fort McAllister is a wonderful Coastal Georgia Senior Getaway to share with your grandchildren. They will enjoy the beautiful setting, the “real life history”, and the parks wonderful amenities which include children’s parks and a great fishing pier.
Schedule your first visit for a quiet, relaxing day but do make plans to come back in December for the Fort McAlister Winter Muster Reenactment. This is another great activity for Coastal Empire senior citizens to share with their grandchildren – give them the opportunity to really enjoy history.
For Coastal Georgia senior citizens, every day can be an adventure. Put historic Fort McAllister on your senior getaway calendar.
We hope you enjoyed today’s feature, Road Trips for Savannah Seniors – Visit Fort McCalister.
Coastal Empire Seniors is live and local – 365 days a year.
Daryl Fant, Publisher. Coastal Empire Seniors
Can we help you with your Savannah Senior Marketing?
Call or e-mail today.